Wednesday, 12 August 2026

I will





















I will sleep
on a bed of clay
with aquifers for veins
and a bloodstream
of white water
till I am drained
through gorges forged
by gravity and earthlight
into the valleys of tomorrow.

I will awake
at the dawn of a civilisation
and grow as old as the hills
till I am eroded to a barren plain
and fill the seabed with my dust.

I will live
in both past
and future as if now
were the same as then
and the yet-to-come
and what is born in me
becomes hope solidified by time,
truth burnished to a mirror
in which no eye can look.

I will go
into the night
with a heart full of stones
and lie down in the rain
till I am full of it,
like a river.
© BH, 2026

I’m always looking to find short-form pieces for blogworthiness. It could either be a quest for discipline or just plain laziness. As it happens, I often can’t restrain myself and five lines become seven, one stanza becomes three, and I’m well on the way to an A4 page in no time.

I thought I might get somewhere with this and, well, it’s short-ish. Maybe the right side of pithy.

If it’s in any way noteworthy, it was the river full of rain that started it…

No comments: