Saturday 13 February 2021

City of Tiny Lights














November night rolls up the moon;
street-lit clouds leach away the light;
something resembling starlight shakes a fist;
incandescence shines like neon saints 
converging in a sky of little rain.

Heaven bleeds sodium orange
from the centre to the edge,
contoured slopes, convex in the night,
mountainous under tumbling stars.

The city is a fire under broken sky,
weather creeping in like blown smoke
on ill-favoured wind, time running
down like a clock’s unwinding,

Above the shimmer,
above the noise of after-hours,
how the pulse beats in an eardrum,
how the streets echo with traffic
and the horns of tiny things,
buses, trains and cars,
transport weeping in the night
to tears of regret and the knowledge
that nothing stops beneath the lights,
nothing wavers, nothing pauses,
and the shift from dark to day
only dims the bulb.
© BH, 2020

City of Tiny Lights. First, I remembered Zappa. Compelling pice of music. But then, it seemed from another place. Another time.

I toyed with it and toyed with it. In then this emerged from the lexicon in my head. Seemed to me more resonant of cities, here, in the north than in the wild city-landscapes of the States.

You can take the man out of… I've been stateside. Love some of it. This is just me and my remembering of the lights we all reflect

No comments: