Monday 29 May 2023

Heavy sea running

Tree-dense islands
with a heavy sea running
hold the tides between them.

Sky, dusk-red above land, 
touches every wave 
with light.

The pinewoods 
put their roots down
into the swollen sward 
of an elapsed time
only they can reach, deeper 
than the sea bed's loneliness.

Tomorrow's calm 
lays the ebb flattened
against remembered weather
and sea and sky remain, 
above all and beyond, 
the keepers of landscape.

© BH, 2023

A brief ekphrastic poem, inspired by the painting whose image accompanies it. The painting is of the St Lawrence River - by Canadian artist, Holly Friesen

I saw the painting in a Facebook post and wrote this. I have to admit there's been a few edits since the original was dashed off. But that's the way it goes… And, of course, I was channelling the sea (oh, my Scottish soul…). Poetic licence, I suppose.

Holly's work can be found at https://www.hollyfriesen.com/

No comments: