Thursday 8 July 2021

Iteration























Surfaces decided that my eyes
could never see enough, could not take in
how the light falls and lies
nor see the patterns that light was making.

I bore witness under heaven
to bare branches and sky reflected
in water stirred by uneven
waves and eddies, wind-infected.

I knew then that, deeper still,
the secrets of the sedimental mud,
the spawn of darkened places will
find a way to light again and blood

will run like paint or pigment
because life and all its natural formations
grow together not apart, its segments
layer on layer, world by world, its iterations.
© BH, 2021

Just another echo of some posting online. I saw an image that reminded me of Escher’s ‘Three Worlds’. Always a fascination, the way sky and light fall on water with the shadows open still to the depths.

Cranked this out to share with the original poster. Seemed like a thing to do.


I remembered, too, that I had my own Escheresque Reflection, an image from 2006. It’s the one above. Below is Escher’s.



No comments: