Sunday 27 September 2020

Na h’Eileanan Mòra


An ocean floor pushed against heaven,

     broke the surface with its basalt bones

where the wind was from the west,

     and the sunlight poured down…












© BH, 2020

An extract from the second poem in my Shiants series, written to accompany Alison Dunlop’s forthcoming exhibition in Gairloch Museum in the summer of 2021.

This project is inspired by these remarkable islands and, for both Alison and myself, initiated by reading Adam Nicolson’s book,
Sea Room.

The exhibition is now on (July and August 2021)  and my suite of seven poems are published in the exhibition book - more information at  Gairloch Museum and at 
The Spirit of Beyond website

The illustration above is based on one of Alisons watercolour studies. 

All that remains is for me to find my way to the Shiants myself, as Alison has done twice in the last couple of years. I’m open to offers… My dinghy is too wee…

Here is the recording I made for the Museum prior to filming a half-hour set of readings to be streamed during the exhibition.

No comments: