Monday 31 August 2020

Horology

















Outside my old room,
humid with dreams, rain fell
warm in the arms of darkness,

drummed its thousand beats.

Night turned all the clocks
from day to morning; chance
wound midnight down to sleep;

nothing waited to be born in the small hours.

My childhood misremembered,
I lay, face-down, breathing
the bed-linen promise
of waking to a different light
behind the curtained morning.

I had misunderstood the weather,
wind, rain, sun, all the seasons
between sky and stone,

whatever their promises might have been.

I had kept time’s unsteadiness
strapped too tight on my wrists,
counting out the beans of my lifetime

as if there was some pattern to it.
© BH, 2020


The study of time. I can’t figure if this was a memory. Perhaps I had misremembered too much to be only left with this invention. Maybe it’s where everyone ends up; trying to recall and make sense of the past, that foreign land where nothing was quite what it seemed. Not even the same shape…

No comments: