Sunday 17 May 2020

Anthropolypse




















Mother Earth,
Oh bother, dearth;
Foiled it, spoiled it,
Death and decay,
No birth today;

Humans fuming,
Apocalypse looming
Before their eyes:
Life everywhere
Carbonised.
© BH, 2020

As happens a lot lately, someone suggests a theme or some such, and off I go. This time, Ogden Nash came up. I think it was his take on celery and vegetables or veganism was the general area.

For me, though, the thought was - how might I extract the Ogden Nashery from our present predicaments?

So this occurred - on the predictable subject of humanity’s total fuck-wittery and incompetence in the face of its own extinction.

Later, other brevities in the Nash vein erupted. Covid-UK, of course… then My Old Man’s War - something more personal and yet, just as relevant to our war-motifed struggle with another virus, a mere century on from the one which buggered everyone at the end of WW1.. 

Will we ever learn?

No comments: