Sunday 14 July 2019

in search of…










someone went in search of
   God
in the lines of a book
   between cracks in creation
   and I supposed
   such a being inhabited
the clay beneath my feet
    a spirit of wild rocks
and stony places

as if I understood
the quantum universe
any better than the ineffable

a s h e s :
the soul on fire
its residue returning to embers
cinders in the night

d u s t :
      the accretion of all time
the grains of which we are made
    returning in the end
       by whatever wind 
might blow again
     in the wildernesses 
       of the last heaven

the  word
on heaven’s face
no lips to speak it
no voice to breath meaning

w o r d :
  in the beginning
  not an utterance
 nor an inscription
     an iteration
      a process
   in the recesses
 of time and matter
 of space and spirit
    the holy ghost
      of a smile
© BH, 2019

I sat beside a woman reading Life and Work on a bus to Glasgow. I was off to read some poems. I glanced from time to time (there was no conversation). I considered the spiritual and the search for God.

Meanwhile, I could see reflected in the window, someone in the seat in front reading about Love Island. Another headline read ‘Sharm El Sake-up!’. 

I had a sense of the sublime and the ridiculous; the secular and  the profane versus divine. Me in the middle. A plain old poet.

[Where the Bowie motif came from is anybody's guess.]

No comments: