Tuesday 25 October 2016

Crossroads












Went down to the crossroads
Tried to beg a ride. 
Asked, can anyone show me mercy?
Got nowhere left to hide;

Too many diamonds on this road, too much dirt and distance,
Signs that point to one-horse towns where the blacktop dies;
Too many tire-track hollows in the gritty scrublands, 
Ruts and trails filled in by fickle winds on the chapparal.

Lord have mercy, cries the lost man
Stumbling on the sidewalk, gimme-a-dime drunk 
And on his knees. 
Lord, he begs for mercy,
Keeps his two-time riders by his side; 
Dog-gone blind and on the highway,
Needs a shut-eyed savior, times like these.

Standing at the crossroads. Got to choose.
Got to choose. Head-spinning, dead-of-night sickness
He hears his badmouth talking, feels the blues.

Follow him down, follow him down,
Falling west to some deep valley,
To a sun-cracked salt-pan where skulls are scattered,
Grinning as they dry their white bones in the heat;

Or falling east to lakes where hurricane rain
Drives wet into the eyes, cascades of tears;

Or falling north to snowmelt bottomlands when ice
Forsakes the ground and black flies suck the blood; 

Or just standing at the crossroads, 
Where all ways point to home,
Rooted to the slab, not a muscle moving, 
Still as dying, not yet gone.

Lost soul at a crossroads, 
Tries to understand
How crossroads, just like rivers, 
Ebb and flood and finally drown;
Nobody seems to know him, 
Standing at the crossroads
He believes he’s sinking down.
© BH, 2016

Found John Mayer’s cover of Crossroads on his Battle Studies album. Then I listened to Cream do it because that’s how I heard it first. Somewhere, I probably heard Robert Johnson sing it - but I don’t know when.

When I found the lyrics, though, I realised how much I’d made up in my own head and then carried in memory for so long. So here came Crossroads of my own, filled with snatches of wrong-remembered lines, an echo of the blues and, just for good measure, the futility of choice.

Illustrated with a still of a crossroad in the streets of Cairo Illinois, a ruin of a city at  the confluence of the Mississippi and the Ohio Rivers. Johnson’s crossroads were at Clarksdale, Mississippi much further south beyond Memphis. Same river.


I went down to the crossroads, fell down on my knees.
Down to the crossroads, fell down on my knees.
Asked the Lord above for mercy, "Save me if you please."


No comments: