Sunday 29 September 2019

watercolour


















sky is water

cold inside me
shivering speech
nature’s idioms
chill and muttering
in my blood

my inadequate
turns of phrase
change the weather
to drizzle in my mouth

the language of trees
hustles wind-noise
through listening leaves
and green-written grass
coils its blades across
a riverside

sky-blue
and sun-yellow
add light to light
reflect the colour
of time’s skipped beat
whose pendulum swings
liquid and long
over the belly of tomorrow
whose smooth surface
hides the minerals beneath
whose arc of divination
predicts how every new day
slips its leash to be born again
in the soft channels
of the river bed

dazzled
for the first time
by its seeing
the human eye
is the sun returning
warmth inside me

cold gnaws away
at its own ice

water is sky
© BH, 2019

No comments: