Friday 21 August 2015

Numbered, Weighed, Divided















Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin

Was I so diffident that my acumen,
The cacophony of my silence,
Was the real conundrum?

How did I eschew the truth
And, fastidious, carefully say nothing
Against hegemony?

Speechless and afraid,
Hardly impetuous, I sat languid
And obtuse in the face it.
© BH 2015

I did one of those Facebook tests. This one tested my command of English. You had to demonstrate by multiple choice you knew the meaning of certain words. I got them all right (as well I might).

It seemed to me the more important thing would be to manage to string words together to achieve a greater meaning. I mean, it’s more important to know when to use the word ‘salubrious’ rather than what it means. Same goes for, what? - ‘orogenesis’, ‘hubris’, ‘termagant’ or even ‘ongoing situation’, ‘touching base’, or ‘going forward’.

This poem resulted. It contains all the words from the test, of course (in bold). The reference to the writing on the wall was entirely incidental. Not inappropriate, though.

No comments: