Thursday 4 October 2012

Earthbound
















What I write
In the pages of this place
As if on the walls of a prison
Is simply a poem
Or an epitaph.

If I had a window
A proper window
Through which the sky
As it fades to dark
Might be a square of change
Then I should cast some light here
Of my own.

In the dim light of circumstances
These once-white interior walls
Now in lamplight
Seep with coming orange,
Let the blue it frames
Slide through twilight 
To midnight, black or nothing.

There a star appears,
One far sun to remind me
That even in a place of walls
Immense distance can creep
Like a kind of comfort.

I can touch its light-years 
As I scrape my shapeless poem
On the crumpled fabric of the evening,
On these surfaces of mine
Where writing is distorted,
Still an approximation
Which might as well be stone.

© BH 2012

Andy McCallum Crawford (of Wee Fictions) reminded me that today is National Poetry Day. So I thought I'd better write something. The theme is 'Stars'. I have lots of poems on the subject but something new was indicated. Here it is. Hot off the press.

Scary, really, since I usually bake a poem at a low heat in the oven of time. Och well. Better out than in…

For National Poetry Day, I sent poet, Dan Simpson, a three line fragment for his crowdsourced poem he was compiling for the day. Most of the line, six from the end, crept in. You can read the whole poem here.

No comments: