Thursday 9 December 2010

Oh, yeah. What'd I Say?

(for the Wilderness Children - and all their mothers and fathers)

But they sing and, singing, love.
Although they take our children 
and slide guitars and synthesisers in their little souls,
rock and roll is raw and real.
It reaches in where text-books never did.
It answers our cries for release from danger,
for comfort in our animalness.
Radios of the world align.
Little ferrite rods are marching.
Copper wires turn into staves
on which the tunes are hung.

Sung in tongues, the hiss of questions come in rhyme —

Sing about this dreamy stuff —
Hush away that loveless ache…
Will the beat be just enough
To give back what we take?

This jive is a dangerous dance,
These creatures sing of chance
That turns a bomb into a saxophone,
Makes laser into Movietone.

Who lulls the monster's many heads to sleep?
Looks for its chains?
Music being both volcano and symphony
Seethes and sooths the savage human heart.


© BH 1988 

I wrote this to go with a single, if I recall. I can't find it. All I have is a flexi-disk distributed with the fanzine Sowing Seeds #5. (The Wilderness Children "There's A Good Time A-Comin'"/"On the West Coast" (Choabie Records, DOSS I). 1987. It's here. There's another cartoon in the fanzine - The Only Adventure of 12-inch O'Toole - which is not as rude as you think. But it's another story.
I also learned that Fraser Reid who played guitar has recently died. I worked with Fraser when him and Andrea lived in Mid Craigie in Dundee. I did the cartoons at his request. Long time ago. We lost touch not so long ago, as our Christmas card lists decayed.
Sad that he's gone. You can read more about Fraser here.

3 comments:

Keir Hardie said...

http://iwishiwasaflexidisc.blogspot.com/2009/03/wilderness-children-flexi-1987.html
http://consolationprize.wordpress.com/2010/02/21/the-wilderness-children-if-you-love-him-let-him-go-7-1989/
http://retrodundee.blogspot.com/2010/06/wilderness-children-on-vinyl-1988.html

I still have, I think, a cassette I bought in the 80s ("Something's Burning In Paradise") which includes one of their songs ("15 Minutes Fame")!

Keir Hardie said...

more!

http://www.sietepulgadas.com/2010/04/wilderness-children-plastic-bag-from.html

Anonymous said...

Hey how on earth are you - cam across this by accident via a link someone sent me! BTW I lost my Christmas card list...
Andrea